1890: Caffè Trombetta was established by Vittorio Trombetta: those were the early years of unified Italy and railways provided the main transport link. Vittorio Trombetta therefore decided to start his business in Via Marsala, near to Termini Station, an arrival point for travellers, in order to provide a welcome for those arriving in the Capital, offering them the chance to taste good coffee made according to the best Italian tradition.
Caffè Trombetta immediately became known for its quality, soon becoming not only a stopping point for travellers arriving in Rome by train but also for those living in the Capital. Today, in the same premises, as well as still being able to taste excellent espresso, it is also possible to purchase the best blends of ground Caffè Trombetta.
Over time the business grew, taking advantage also of the strong impetus of the post-war economic boom: the 1960s saw the arrival of Giorgio Trombetta, grandson of the founder, into a management organisation which, in size, had already become a fully fledged company. The present company structure was established, with its modern factory at Pomezia, in the industrial district a few kilometres from Rome. Giorgio Trombetta is noted for his modern approach and business vision and was among the first to offer the benefit of vacuum packaging. He has also founded Sao Cafè, the consortium through which achieved the success in the large scale distribution market.
Times have changed, but the passion for coffee is always the same, just as much as the respect for family traditions. In 1994 Giorgio Trombetta therefore decided the expand the company business by acquiring one of the Capital’s most prestigious addresses, in addition to its historical premises in Via Marsala – the Canova in Piazza del Popolo, famous throughout the world as a regular meeting place for Fellini and many actors from La Dolce Vita.